Saturday, March 3, 2007

Fallowfield Exploration

The beginning of day two was pretty decent. Got up at about 10am, got ready to go out and play. Michelle had class till 3pm, so I was LEFT UNATTENDED IN A FOREIGN COUNTRY for a while. This can only end well. After taking a shower and getting dressed I grabbed my keys and headed out to the Trof, figuring that was the only internet connection I knew of. After buying a white coffee with a pound coin and eighty pence, I sat down and got to work. Uploaded my pics, posted that brick of information you see below. After 2 hours of jerking around with the wireless connection and mistakenly double posting to flickr, I headed out.

I figured I'd retrace most of yesterday's adventuring by foot to see if I could recall where things were. I found a tiny computer shop "Mighty Micro", which I had Googled for earlier to see if could get a wireless adapter for Michelle's computer to do some wireless bridging. There was no door handle, and I had to be buzzed in. After giving the clerk 25 pounds for a USB wireless adapter, I shoved it in my bag and was off to see what I could find. I passed by the Sainsbury's on my way and kept going. I saw all kinds of tiny shops, mostly convenience store places, but also meat shops, news stands, eateries, and real estate joints that specialized in renting to students. I also noticed that if you look right at somebody while you are smiling they get completely freaked out. Its almost as if every person has their own little space bubble that you only perceive when space bubbles collide. Which is then met with "Excuse me." or "Sorry." Very interesting. Its a completely different social dynamic around here.


After going to what I percieved to be far enough, I turned around and came back down Wilmslow Road. I saw all these people walking up and down the street and somehow with all the wind they managed to have straight hair. I, on the other hand, looked like a bird with a head crest. I stopped in the Sainsbury's on the way back and bought some Matt Wax for two pound thirty five. Let me just say that with my new haircut, it was exactly what it needed. Now in a stiff wind my hair definitely stays.

By the time I got back it was half two, so I made some beans and toast in the kitchen. Michelle was back at 3PM, and then we just had a nap till 5 or so. Friday nights are big with students, so we figured we should rest up.

After getting up and getting washed, we then went out for dinner. Rusholme, which is also known as "The Curry Mile", has a ton of curry and kebab shops on its whole length. Leaving Owens Park we decided to take a bus rather than walk, as that would be easy and economical. I got a week pass for a bus company called "Magic Bus" for 3 pound. Considering a single ride is sixty pence, this is a mega deal. The bus was picking us up in no time. We got off at the first stop in Rusholme and walked the length of its neon glow. Greeters at the front of the shops actually accost people on their way by with specials. Reminded me of Wildwood. Michelle recommended we go to Darbar, a good shop nearer to the end. I had Chana Masala, which I get at nearly every curry joint I go to and it was delicious. I also had some coleslaw that had corn in it. Strangely enough its great in coleslaw.

After paying up, we walked the half a block that was the rest of Rusholme, and then we hopped the bus back to Fallowfield. We then went to a small student bar called Glass. I forgot that everyone gets to drink at 18 in the UK, so people were way younger than us. No matter, I'll at least try to drink some kids under the table! They have a special shot menu that's a pound fifty a shot. We first had a union jack, and then a pint of Carlsberg. Walking around inside we saw people playing Pro Evolution Soccer 6 on a Playstation. This is a great idea and I think should happen in American bars. We then had a shot of mini-screwdriver and were on our way to Queen of Hearts, a legendary student bar that's actually part of a church.

Arriving at the door, I got carded, but the guy didn't even look. It was like "Plastic card? Yeah come on in." I paid four pound at the door to get in, which was kinda eh, but had to do it. There wasn't many people inside at this point, being that it was about ten or so. We went up to the only bar in the joint, and had a pair of Carlsberg pints. We sat down in the back and took inventory of the joint. After sitting around checking out all the people and watching them do the bar thing, I went back for another pint.

I rolled up and asked for a pint of Carlsberg, and as I turned around noticed two guys looking right at me with pitchers of beer in their hands. I smiled and as soon as they saw me look they blurt out, "Hey mate, where you from?" I'd been found out. "Hey! I'm from America.", I replied. Both of them looked at each other like they might headbutt one another and screamed "YEAAH!" then introduced themselves as Donny and Paddy. Both Irish, as if you couldn't tell from the names. The next exchange was priceless.

Donny: "Hey, you wanna drink a Bud Light!?"
BOTH: "YEAAAAAHHH!!!"
Me: "More like a Stella."
Both: "What?! You have Stella in America!?"
Me: "Dude, I'm from the refined part of America, not all that NASCAR stuff you see on the TV." (No offense to NASCAR fans of course...)
Paddy: "Oh man! You know Top Gear then?"
Me: "Hell yeah, I download all kinds of BBC stuff at home."
Both: "YEAAAAAAHHH!!!"

We parted ways and then later on I had what they were having, Snakebites with something dropped in them. After sitting back down with Michelle, we got up and went to the bathrooms. Men's bathrooms in the UK are totally different than the US. They have one of those giant trough style urinals made of stainless steel that run the length of the walls. I came back out and then we went to the dance floor. The DJ was ok, but played some zany stuff. Most songs were about 1.2x their normal speed. He played a couple of big American hits early on, but also some really debatable US songs. We danced for a bit but it was Mad River style hit and miss. People dance, strangely, in Manchester. Sort of a weird fast having a fit style movement that I haven't figured out where it came from just yet. I'm sure by next week I will.

We left about 1 or so, and it was pissing down outside. We made it back in one piece through the herd of students standing around the opening in Owens Park and just slid into bed somewhat beat.

2 comments:

jimmer said...

geo, email me , i think you dad turnd off your computer and steve and i have had no internet for three days now. can i and how can i turn it back on. thanks jimmerart @hotmail.com

Unknown said...

heh...am i related to that dude with the straw in his ear?